In this month’s episode, @reflectivemaths and @icecolbeveridge discuss:
- Dave is baffled by the idea of the Anniversary Games but happy to have a reduced workload
- We agree on the name and age of the podcast
- Number of the podcast: 36, the smallest non-trivial square triangle number.
- Colin has a new book out August 11th! In multiple languages! And a new one in the works, The Maths Behind…. We discuss ideas for it, invite suggestions, and wonder about brigadiers.
- Dave is editing a book on Core Maths, a new post-16 course that sounds good. We discuss making maths relevant to young adults by not talking about cheques.
- Short announcements:
Dave went to Upfest in Bristol, in Britain, and found mathematical graffiti:
. We namecheck @samuel_hansen for talking about crochet in this podcast with Daina Taimina.
- Colin looks into an article about Melania Trump’s ‘plagiarised’ speech and we put on our skeptical faces (via @sesquiotic).
- Dave is on holiday and thinking about sports day! What’s the best way to score it? Colin mentions decathlon scoring, which he wrote about before.
- @peterrowlett writes in the Aperiodical about exam timetabling and we share our thoughts.
- Dave has some science teachers covering project-based maths classes.
- We give a deep insight into a 200TB maths proof, which is the largest ever.
- Do send us audio if you want to! Email email@example.com .
- Two stars for @fenneklyra for her entries into Dave’s last puzzle, one of them for being a smart-arse.
- This month’s puzzle: 36 is, famously, a square number immediately preceded by three semi-primes. What’s the next one?
- Tweet us with the hashtag #ilistentowbu for some reason
- Thanks to @realityminus3 for a nice iTunes review. To be more like her, leave a nice review of your own!
More next month, with any luck!
A selection of other posts
subscribe via RSS