Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
This month, @reflectivemaths (Dave Gale in real life) and I discuss:
- The birth of baby Bill (d'aww)
- Dave's loyalty to More or Less, and nappies
- WBU ultra-loyalist @srcav's comments on Episode 9 and a plea for reviews
- Whether to up our podcasting output in an attempt to outdo Math/Maths and TES Maths
- Congratulations to @peterrowlett on his (provisional) doctorate [UPDATE: Peter, dammit, is a doctor, not a mathematician; his Ph.D. is in Computing and Maths Education.]
- Dave's Christmas present: @slsingh's The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets, and Colin's: Two Girls, One On Each Knee by @alanconnor
- The numerology of the calendar, 11/12/13 and @andrew_taylor's brilliant @823years account
- @perspective_pick's run-in with the Maths Police and other things that have got our goat
- The Nix The Tricks ebook (review here)
- Vedic Mathematics, which doesn't get a link because it's dreadful
- Dave's plans for a book of puzzles and whether there's anything new under the sum
- World record attempts involved cards, dates, coin towers and chess sets (Colin's attempt here)
- Colin's alternative quadratic method, revisited - explained more clearly here.
- Colin's geometry puzzle: inscribe a square inside a circle of radius $r$; inscribe a square inside a semicircle of radius $r$; what's the ratio of their areas?
- Colin doesn't understand calculus of variations and hopes it will make him better at Real Racing
* Updated 7/1/2014 to clarify Peter's qualification.